|Equine Injury Database
Click here for participating racetracks.
The Equine Injury DatabaseTM is the Thoroughbred industry’s first national database of racing injuries. Launched by The Jockey Club in July 2008, the Equine Injury Database seeks to:
- identify the frequency, types and outcome of racing injuries using a standardized format that will generate valid statistics
- identify markers for horses at increased risk of injury
- serve as a data source for research directed at improving safety and preventing injuries
| The Equine Injury Database is funded entirely by The Jockey Club, through its commercial subsidiaries InCompass Solutions Inc. and The Jockey Club Technology Services Inc., as a service to the industry.
The software module that enables racetracks, racing organizations and training centers to participate in the program is provided free of charge through the InCompass Race Track Operations (RTO) system, which is installed at every racetrack in North America.
Click here for a list of racetracks participating in the Equine Injury Database.
Racetracks, racing organizations and training centers interested in signing up for the Equine Injury Database should contact Kristin Hix at
firstname.lastname@example.org or (859) 224-2720, or Michelle Penna at
email@example.com or (859) 296-3009.
The database was first proposed at the Welfare and Safety of the Racehorse Summit in October 2006 and its launch in July 2008 followed a 13-month pilot program whereby more than 3,000 injury reports were received and recorded.
The following table presents the comparable fatality rates based on the updated analysis of data collected in the Equine Injury Database for calendar years 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012.
| The Jockey Club makes no representations or warranties as to the accuracy or timeliness of data contained in this report or as to any matter whatsoever. The Jockey Club expressly disclaims and shall have no responsibility or liability for any losses or damages resulting from errors or omissions in this report.
The following are links to press releases concerning the Equine Injury Database.
- The Jockey Club Releases Update from Equine Injury Database,
March 8, 2013
- The Jockey Club Releases Update From Equine Injury Database,
March 22, 2012
- New Website Enables Tracks to Publish Data from Equine Injury Database,
March 5, 2012
- The Jockey Club Commits Funding to Implement Recommendations from Industry Study,
August 14, 2011
- The Jockey Club Releases Updated Statistics from the Equine Injury Database,
December 15, 2010
- Equine Injury Database Statistics Discussed at Third Welfare and Safety
of the Racehorse Summit, June 28, 2010
- Equine Injury Database Statistic Released by The Jockey Club, March 23, 2010
- The Jockey Club Announces Launch of Equine Injury Database, July 22, 2008